The families of the seven people killed in a devastating terror attack earlier this month were given appointment letters by authorities in Jammu and Kashmir’s Rajouri district on Saturday, news agency PTI reported.
Terrorists opened fire on Dhangri hamlet in Rajouri on January 1, killing five people, including two brothers and a father-son combination. Two toddlers were killed the next day when an improvised explosive device left behind by the terrorists exploded.
Rajouri Deputy Commissioner Vikas Kundal visited the grieving relatives and delivered appointment letters to the kin, PTI reported quoting an official.
Lt Governor Manoj Sinha approved and announced the appointments.
The deputy commissioner handed over appointment letters to Saroj Bala, Neeta Devi, Vanshu Sharma, Prinka Sharma, Shub Sharma, and Neeta Devi, according to a spokesperson, the report said.
Devi, on the other hand, lost her husband and father-in-law in the terror attack, leaving her as the only survivor in her family.
Kundal expressed his condolences to the lost families, saying that while the death of a loved one can never be replaced, the district administration will support them during this difficult time and provide whatever assistance they may require.
The incident occurred in Dangri village. According to authorities, two armed terrorists barged into three residences and began to fire indiscriminately, as per the report. Dr Mehmood H Bajar, the college’s medical superintendent, confirmed four deaths and said two of those injured were taken to Jammu for better care, according to the PTI. This was the second civilian killing in the Rajouri district in the last two weeks, following the death of two persons outside an Army base on December 16.
According to the PTI, the headman of Dangri village criticised officials, calling the incident a huge security lapse. He stated that there was a threat perception and that searches were done in several areas of the district.
(With Inputs From PTI)